of the Mind: Cupcakes and Technology

Ahoy 'hoy!

Sunday, May 06, 2007
For my champagne birthday (22) what else was I to do but make a champagne cake?



Filling:
chopped strawberries
sugar
mint
champagne
cointreau
Frosting:
very slightly sweetened whipped cream (homemade)
cream cheese
powdered sugar
champagne

The frosting was very runny because it was hot hot hot and HUMID while I made it. I just dumped it over as a glaze, but it was still delicious. Also, for the recipe, I recommend adding slightly more champagne than is suggested. I also used Martini & Rossi Asti instead of champagne; I very much like the flavor.

CUPCAKESCUPCAKECUPCAKECUPCAKECUPCAKESCUPCAKESCUPCAKECUPCAKES

I also made a cupcake version more recently.



Same recipe, though I added almond flavoring to it. Same filling, done with the cone method. I topped it with a straight cream cheese + powdered sugar + almond extract frosting, because I had to transport them.

The real innovation here was the topper. I bought pre-colored fondant and rolled it out and used various strange household objects to make the shapes that I wanted. Joe made a sailboat pattern for me out of primary shapes and after many painstaking hours of putting them together they turned out pretty darn cute.




The final product was very well received, with someone naming them "Champagne Supernova Cupcakes."


Labels: , , ,

Posted by Caitlin @ 8:45 PM - Permanent link


0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Bakery on flickr.com

About

Blogging and baking out of So.Fla., I am a 20-something IT professional with a penchant for cupcakes and Web 2.0. Formerly a newspaper editor and graphic designer, I like new recipes, intriguing articles, good design and anything shiny. Check back regularly for delicious recipes + photo documentation as well as leads and analysis on all things nerdy.

Archives

♠   Vert-vert
♠   Long days, short bytes
♠   A lot of super stuff
♠   boys slappin'
♠   Outside WholeFoods, SRQ, FL, USA
♠   because I screw robots, after all
♠   Linear Light
♠   Wisconsin is just as cold as you'd expect
♠   Excuse the dust
♠   DL: Such Great Heights - John Tejada Remix


Most recent on flickr.com

Site Info

Powered by 

Blogger
Creative Commons License

Bakery

♥ Cupcake Bakeshop
♥ Tartelette
♥ Culinary Concoctions by Peabody
♥ Lemon Almond
♥ Cooking for Engineers

Geekery

♥ The H Line

The rest

♥ Questionable Content
♥ Dooce
♥ Étant donnés